Each week, parents, families and friends send 100′s of letters from the Sandboxx app to recruits at basic training and boot camp. Here is a list from the USMC of what not to send. Let us know if you think there is anything missing from this list.
What not to send:
- Medication of any kind (prescription or nonprescription). This includes common over-the-counter medicine like aspirin, cough drops and topical creams. (All necessary medications will be prescribed by medical personnel during recruit training.)
- Vitamins, minerals and bulk-sized protein- or carbohydrate-based supplements. (Exception: individually wrapped, shelf-stable, single-portion-sized, protein- or carbohydrate-based supplements, such as energy bars or gels, are permitted. However, they either must be consumed during free time on the date received or stored as community property for recruits to consume at a later date immediately following physical training events.)
- Tobacco products or paraphernalia
- Any alcoholic or intoxicating substances, including alcoholic drinks, mouthwash, cough medicine and all performance enhancing supplements.
- Drugs or drug paraphernalia
- Combustibles, matches, lighters, or any flammable materials
- Gambling devices (including playing cards and dice)
- Hygiene products, toiletries
- Pornographic materials
- Prophylactics (condoms)
- Magazines and newspapers (with the exception of recruiter handouts and religious material)
- Subversive literature
- All electrical or battery-operated devices must have batteries removed (except for watches).
- Any items already prohibited by the U.S. Postal Service or shipping companies.
Note: Drill instructors or training staff may also prohibit other items not listed that they deem inappropriate. If you are sending food, recruits will only be allowed to keep it after one day if it is in sealed packets such as nutrition bars.
Send mail straight from your phone with the Sandboxx app. We’ll also include a stamped, addressed return envelope with writing paper so that your recruit can reply faster.
Can i send my friend a real deer skull
Timothy Joseph Scheidler says
What constitutes ‘subversive literature’?
what about bug repellent for sand fleas