Preparing for Navy boot camp is a busy time and it can be unclear as to what recruits should bring. In our Navy boot camp checklist we outline what you must bring, what you cannot bring and what you can bring to make the packing process easier.
To start with, all luggage must fit in a sports bag / small travel case.
What must I bring to Navy Boot Camp?
The following list is all of the essentials you must bring to Navy boot camp and the most important Navy boot camp checklist.
- Photo I.D./Drivers License
- Social Security Card
- Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Divorce Decree (if applicable)
- Copies of Dependents Birth Certificates (if applicable)
- Complete civilian and military immunization records
- Direct Deposit System form with bank account and routing number information
What additional items can I bring to Navy Boot Camp?
It is important to note that RTC Great Lakes is extremely tight on storage space and anything considered excess will be given to charity or sent home. If you choose to send items home, the cost of shipping will come from your paycheck.
- One pair of prescription glasses, reading glasses or contact lens kit if applicable
- Money (maximum of $25) (optional)
- Religious medallion (No larger than approximately 2”x1”)
- Small Bible or other religious book
- Check book and ATM card
- Female Sanitary Items
- Prescription birth control which will be taken and reissued
- Female cosmetics. One of each is permitted: face powder, blush, lipstick, eye shadow and mascara (non-aerosol or glass). Make-up will be authorized for division photos and graduation weekend only.
- Female Barrettes (must match hair color)
- Personal hygiene Kit
- Small address book
- Wrist watch
- Wedding ring
- Writing material
- Pocket dictionary
- Small hairbrush and comb
- Pre-paid phone cards
- Prescriptions Drugs*
*Recruits may bring prescription drugs with identifying prescription labels. At a designated time, they must be sent to the dispensary for medical evaluation.
Get a printable version of the Navy Boot Camp Packing List 2019 for when you start packing your bags.
What am I not allowed to bring?
Some are more obvious than others but packing these items will be a waste of packing space as they will be confiscated immediately. The following items are unauthorized to be possessed by recruits in training:
- Large cans of shaving cream. (12oz. or larger)
- All aerosol containers.
- After shave/cologne.
- Lighter fluid.
- Disposable Lighters (the fluid cartridge of a “Zippo” lighter will be confiscated, the casing will be retained with)
- Non- Navy magazines and books.
- Playing cards, dice, gambling paraphernalia.
- Large bulky stationery.
- Large hair combs/afro pics, rakes or anything made of metal.
- Anything in glass containers including mirrors.
- Double edge razors, blades.
- Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, tobacco, chewing tobacco.
- Large deodorants (larger than 4oz).
- Alcohol-based health & comfort items.
- Food items.
- All non-prescription drugs and medications that include but not limited to:
- Phisoderm, Phisohex, etc.
- Foot powders.
- Rubbing alcohol.
- Motion sickness medication.
- Commercial sleeping aide.
- Acne medications.
- Eye wash (exception: saline solution for contacts).
- Sex related materials (diaphragms, condoms, etc).